Bachelor in Paradise host Chris Harrison is trying to be transparent with fans without having any answers just one day after news broke that producers of the popular Bachelor spinoff series had suspended filming indefinitely.
Harrison said in a statement released to Good Morning America Tuesday that the decision came after the producers considered the well-being of the cast and crew following an alleged incident of “misconduct.”
“The safety and care of the cast and crew of our show is of the utmost importance to us. It is with this thought in mind that we made the decision to suspend filming,” he said in the statement. “Out of respect to all involved, there’s only so much I can and will say at this time. Normally a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there, I don’t find that to be possible anymore.”
On Monday, Warner Bros., the production company behind Bachelor in Paradise, issued a statement acknowledging that they were investigating allegations of as-yet unconfirmed “misconduct” between two of the show’s contestants. Harrison confirmed in his statement Tuesday that Warner Bros. will be “handling all the details of that investigation,” and that they were “moving quickly” to resolve the problem.
Multiple reports have suggested that the incident involved two contestants getting extremely inebriated and having explicit sexual relations in the pool as cameras rolled, though there has not yet been any confirmation as to what exactly happened on set, or who was involved.
Blogger Steve Carbone, better known as Reality Steve, confirmed Monday that the contestants had been flown to Houston, Texas, following the production shutdown. Carbone shared an image of the cast on his social media accounts; Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson, who were announced as part of the cast last week, were absent from the photo.
In his statement, Harrison also apologized to fans of the hit reality dating series about the “inconvenience” that the news may have caused, while reassuring them that showrunners hoped to get back on track with production once the incident was cleared up.
“I know in this day and age we want and even expect immediate answers but in this case it’s just not possible,” he said. “So again I urge you to please be patient and respect the privacy of the parties involved. I will keep you as informed and up to date as I possibly can. We’re sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused the cast, the crew and our loyal fans. It is my sincere hope that we can come to a quick resolution on this and get back to work very soon.”
Bachelor in Paradise, which premiered in August 2014, features some of the most popular Bachelor and Bachelorette castoffs living under one roof for the summer and being given the power to cast one another out of the house in a whirlwind of alliances, confessions and intense dating dynamics.