In a speech today that marked her pivot to the general-election race against Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton bashed the presumptive Republican nominee, referencing his thin-skinned responses to criticism and the racism, sexism and xenophobia that have become hallmarks of his campaign.
Delivered before a lively San Diego crowd days before California’s key primary election, Clinton’s remarks focused on foreign policy, but often veered into issues of Trump’s character — seeming to take a page from Elizabeth Warren’s recent attacks on Trump. She called Trump “dangerously incoherent” and “temperamentally unfit” for the presidency, and hit him on his “nasty tweets” (one of which he fired off while Clinton was on stage).
Here were some of the biggest zingers from the speech.
1. “This is not someone who should ever have the nuclear codes.”
2. “It’s not hard to imagine Donald Trump leading us into a war just because somebody got under his very thin skin.”
3. “We are not a country that cowers behind walls.”
4. “Donald Trump doesn’t know the first thing about Iran, or its nuclear program. Ask him. It’ll become very clear, very quickly.”
5. “The stakes in global statecraft are infinitely higher and more complex than in the world of luxury hotels.”
6. “There’s no risk of people losing their lives if you blow up a golf course deal. But it doesn’t work like that in world affairs. Just like being interviewed on the same episode of 60 Minutes as Putin was, is not the same as actually dealing with Putin.”
7. “I’ll leave it to the psychiatrists to explain his affection for tyrants.”
8. “It also matters when he makes fun of people with disabilities, calls women pigs, proposes banning a whole religion from our country or plays coy with white supremacists.”
9. “Don’t let anyone tell you that America’s not great.”
10. “This isn’t reality television; this is actual reality.”