This preview of Vampire Weekend's forthcoming third album, Modern Vampires of the City (due May 7th), roars and clatters like a souped-up jalopy, with a cyber-sock-hop groove, surf-guitar outbursts, hand claps and Ezra Koenig's giddily hiccuping vocals, which pitch-shift from Elvis to Michael Jackson to EDM chipmunk. If you were the bookish type, you just might read it as a meta-critique of pop stardom and its dark underbelly; at one point, Koenig creepily suggests, "You got the luck of a Kennedy/So grab the wheel." ("Diane Young" = dyin' young, get it?) At the same time, the song simply rocks up a storm, in a distinctly VW kind of way. Sounds like a band that still has plenty left to prove.
- Vampire Weekend
- "Diane Young"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- John Lennon's Ex-Wife Cynthia Dead at 75
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Watch Kendrick Lamar Celebrate Compton in 'King Kunta' Video
- Watch Jimmy Fallon and Ethan Hawke Perform Bob Dylan Lullabies
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- How Courtney Barnett's Thoughts Became 2015's Sharpest Debut
- Watch the Intense, Violent New 'Straight Outta Compton' Trailer