Little Richard described 1988's third annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony as a "beautiful reunion," something he heard echoed by other attendees of the gala, which honored the Beatles, Supremes, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan and others. "Bruce said the same thing," Richard told Rolling Stone. "Mick said it seemed like old times. I don't think it's gonna get no bigger than that."
The night reached critical mass, however, when the Stones took to the stage for a larger-than-life rendition of their own "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." The stage at New York's Waldorf-Astoria was packed with the evening's luminaries: Jagger stashed his coat somewhere between Dylan and the E Street Band's Patti Scialfa; Springsteen looked on in awe as Mike Love sang below his ballcap and John Fogerty played bluesy licks; the Supremes' Mary Wilson offered up "hey, hey, hey" responses to Jagger; and Billy Joel rocked out behind a keyboard. Midway into the song, Springsteen sidled up to Jagger and added some extra grit to the song.
An album collecting some of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's most raucous superjams and notable performances will come out as a vinyl-only release on April 29th. In addition to the above version of "Satisfaction," Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Live – Volume 1 will contain Chuck Berry and Springsteen doing "Johnny B. Goode," Metallica doing Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," the bonkers "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" jam with Prince and others.
A second and third volume will come out later this year. Proceeds from the records' sales will benefit the Rock Hall's Foundation, which supports the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's exhibits and educational programs.
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Live – Volume 1 Track List:
1. "Johnny B. Goode" – Chuck Berry with Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (1995)
2. "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" – Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (1999)
3. "A Change Is Gonna Come" – Al Green (1995)
4. "The Train Kept A-Rollin'" – Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ron Wood, Joe Perry, Flea and Metallica (2009)
5. "Iron Man" – Metallica (2006)
1. "Woodstock" – James Taylor (1997)
2. "Sunshine of Your Love" – Cream (1993)
3. "Blitzkrieg Bop" – Green Day (2002)
4. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" – Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen and the Rock Hall Jam Band (1988)
5. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" – Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Dhani Harrison and Prince (2004)