Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald spoke out for the first time on the lawsuit pop star Kesha filed against him in a series of tweets on Monday. The producer claimed that he never sexually assaulted the singer and praised the New York judge who held the artist to her contract.
"Until now I haven't commented on the lawsuits, which should be resolved in court [and] not here on Twitter," he wrote. "It's a shame that there's so much speculation out there basing itself on so little information. The only truly objective person who knows the facts is the judge. The judge did not rule in Kesha's favor on Friday.
"I understand why people without all the information are speaking out," he continued. "I can appreciate their compassion. But lives can get ruined when there's a rush to judgment before all the facts come out. Look what happened at UVA, Duke, etc. Of course any sane person is against rape and sexual assault, but everybody who is commenting is doing so without knowledge or facts. They are getting behind an allegation only - motivated by money.
"I didn't rape Kesha and I have never had sex with her," he continued. "Kesha and I were friends for many years and she was like my little sister. Kesha has denied under oath the horrible allegations now being made against me. Here is the testimony."
Gottwald then tweeted an image of a New York Daily News article with the headline "Kesha denied date rape by Dr. Luke in 2011 testimony, court records reveal," as well as a TMZ article showing a deposition in which Kesha said she never had a sexual relationship with Gottwald, nor did he drug her. The producer went on to write, "Kesha's lawyer, Mark Geragos, made another false rape claim against me that was denied by publicly Lady Gaga," and linked to another TMZ article backing up the tweet.
Gottwald then anted up against the lawyer. "Mark Geragos, Kesha's attorney, represented [convicted murderer] Scott Peterson and [singer] Chris Brown," he wrote. "How can he pretend he cares about women's rights?
Geragos did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Gottwald's tweets.
"Imagine if you or somebody you loved was publicly accused of a rape you knew they didn't do," he continued. "Imagine that. I have three sisters, a daughter, and a son with my girlfriend, and a feminist mom who raised me right.
"Kesha and I made a lot of songs together and it was often good, but there were creative differences at times," he continued. "It's sad that she would turn a contract negotiation into something so horrendous and untrue. But I feel confident when this is over the lies will be exposed and the truth will prevail. I want to thank all my friends and family who have supported me throughout this."
He concluded by saying, "This is an ongoing legal case so I won't be responding/talking much about this. This should be tried in a court of law."
A New York judge decided last week that Kesha had to honor the contract and continue to work with Sony and Kemosabe, Dr. Luke's Sony imprint. The singer had previously filed a suit alleging Gottwald had drugged and raped her, with Kesha asking to be released from her contract. The suit decided last week would have targeted the contract before the singer's career was "irreparably harmed," according to her lawyer. "There has been no showing of irreparable harm. She's being given opportunity to record," the judge said last week.
Gottwald's lawyer, Christine Lepera, released a statement Monday, following Taylor Swift's decision to offer $250,000 to help Kesha with her financial needs and criticism online from Lorde, Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato and Kelly Clarkson, among others. "The goal of Kesha's counsel throughout has been to obtain a more lucrative contract through a shameless campaign of outrageous claims they will never stand behind in a court of law," the attorney wrote.