Zayn Malik has broken his silence following his split earlier this week with One Direction. The singer spoke with UK tabloid The Sun about his decision to leave the boy band behind and take some time to himself.
“I’ve never felt more in control in my life,” the singer said, hours after informing the band of his decision. “I feel like I’m doing what’s right, and right by myself and right by the boys, so I feel good.”
The singer reiterated much of what he shared with fans in his official statement Wednesday afternoon, citing a need for a more normal life. “The main message is just that I did try to do something that I wasn’t happy doing for a while, for the sake of maybe other people’s happiness,” he told the Sun. “I only ever tried to do it for the fans, and it was only ever for them. I’m only upset [because] I feel like I may have let them down in some sort of way.”
Malik insisted that there is no bad blood between him and One Direction, stating that any rumors of negativity between them “couldn’t be more wrong.” He vouched for the support they’ve provided him and spoke positively about the band’s future without him. “They understand that it’s not real to me anymore. They still want to do it for a while, so they’re going to carry on doing what they want to do. I think they’re going to be cool.”
While a collaboration with Naughty Boy has been confirmed since last year, the singer’s main focus for now is “to write and relax and chill.” Malik declined to answer a question about rejoining the group in the future.
One Direction are currently touring in support of their 2014 album Four. The remaining members plan on releasing new music by the end of the year.