The track appears on Starkey and Liguz’s new project, Issues, a covers album featuring an array of guests and benefitting Roger Daltrey’s Teen Cancer Program. On the album, Starkey steps out from his usual spot behind the drum kit — he currently performs with the Who — to play guitar while Liguz sings.
The duo deliver a faithful, but blistering cover of “Problems” alongside Matlock and Cook, with Liguz injecting her melodic vocal turn with plenty of Johnny Rotten-esque snottiness.
As Starkey tells Rolling Stone, Issues was initially pitched as a song series that paired covers with original music, but the duo decided to take it in a different direction. “We suggested we cut the tunes that influenced us with the original rhythm sections from the bands we covered,” Starkey says. “It turned out so good that everyone involved thought it should be a record. So it is.”
Along with Matlock and Cook, Issues also features Mott the Hoople’s Mick Ralphs playing on “All the Young Dudes,” Blondie’s Clem Burke playing on “One Way Or Another” and the Wailers’ Santa Davis playing on “Get Up Stand Up,” which also features guest vocals from Eddie Vedder. A release date for Issues has yet to be announced.
Sshh Issues Track List
1. “Problems” with Paul Cook and Glen Matlock of Sex Pistols
2. “Jah War” with Dave Ruffy and Segs of the Ruts
3. “Shoot Speed Kill Light/Rocks” with Darren Moonie and Simone of Primal Scream
4. “All The Young Dudes” with Mick Ralphs of Mott the Hoople and Martin Chambers and Glen Matlock
5. “Dominos” with Robbie Furze of Big Pink, and Twiggy and Gil Sharone from Marilyn Manson
6. “One Way Or Another” with Clem Burke of Blondie
7. “Back To Black” with Dale Davis and Nathan Allen of Amy Winehouse’s band
8. “Private Life” with Martin Chambers of the Pretenders and Glen Matlock
9. “Get Up Stand Up” with Santa Davis and Fully Fullwood of Peter Tosh Word Sound & Power
10. “Babylon’s Burning” with Dave Ruffy and Segs of the Ruts
10. “Tin Soldier” with Kenney Jones of the Small Faces