U2 have released details of their forthcoming 20th anniversary reissue of Achtung Baby, due out later this year. The set will come in multiple formats, aimed at different types of U2 fans. “If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value,” band manager Paul McGuinness told Rolling Stone earlier this year.
The Uber Deluxe Edition will be the most elaborate (and expensive) version of the set, and will include all of the following in a numbered magnetic puzzle-tield box:
• Six CDs including Achtung Baby and its 1993 follow up Zooropa, plus discs featuring B sides, outtakes and reworked versions of unheard material from the Achtung sessions
• Four DVDs including ZOO TV: Live From Sydney, the new documentary From the Sky Down and all of the music videos from the period
• Five clear 7-inch singles in replicas of their original packaging
• 16 art prints from the original album sleeve
• 84-page hardback book
• One issue of Propaganda fanclub magazine
• Four badges
• One sticker sheet
• One replica of Bono’s “The Fly” sunglasses
The super-deluxe version will include all of the CDs, DVDs and art prints from the Uber Deluxe version, plus a 92-page hardback book. (The 8 extra pages are a mystery!)
Achtung Baby will also be reissued as a vinyl box set featuring the album along with two translucent blue vinyl disc featuring B sides and remixes and a double-disc CD with a bonus disc of B sides and rarities. U2 fans who simply want a remastered edition of the record without extras of any kind can pick up a standard single CD with all the standard album art fans have known for two decades.