UPDATE: A judge has refused to dismiss murder charges against Marion “Suge” Knight in a fatal hit-and-run earlier this year, according to The Associated Press.
An attorney for Suge Knight filed a motion prior to Friday’s pretrial hearing that the murder charges against the Death Row mogul be dismissed. Attorney Matt Fletcher said that because one of the two victims of the fatal hit-and-run incident January 29th, actor Cle “Bones” Sloan, refused to identify Knight as the driver at a preliminary hearing in April, there’s no evidence to support the case against Knight.
“There is nowhere in this transcript that Mr. Sloan ever identifies Marion Knight, the defendant, as a murderer,” Fletcher wrote in his motion, The Associated Press reports. “There is nowhere in the entire transcript that Mr. Sloan even identifies Marion Knight as a driver of the red truck in question; the red truck that hit the victims.”
In the prosecution’s response to Fletcher’s motion, they admit that while Sloan did not finger “Marion Knight” like Fletcher contends, the actor did say “Suge.” They also provided other evidence that reinforced Knight’s alleged involvement. Knight was charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run for the incident outside of a Compton hamburger stand. After being held on $25 million bail and fainting in court, Knight pleaded not guilty to all charges.
In April, Sloan admitted that he was the aggressor in the incident that left his friend Terry Carter dead. However, despite suffering multiple serious injuries after being hit by Knight’s SUV, Sloan testified that he refused to be a “snitch” and that his memory of the hit-and-run has become blurry. “I will not be used to send Suge Knight to prison,” Sloan said. However, prosecutors still had Sloan’s original statement to police as well as surveillance footage of the incident as evidence against Knight.
If the judge overseeing the case denies Fletcher’s call for dismissal, the trial is scheduled to begin July 7th. If convicted, Knight faces life in prison.