Suge Knight Facing Life in Prison Over Fatal Car Crash
UPDATE 2: Suge Knight has fired his lawyers and was taken to the hospital on Monday for an undisclosed reason, according to the Associated Press. It was Knight’s third hospitalization since his arrest for murder.
UPDATE: On Tuesday, Suge Knight pleaded not guilty to all charges. According to TMZ, he was rushed to a hospital shortly after suffering a panic attack.
Hip-hop mogul Marion “Suge” Knight has officially been charged with one count of murder, one count of attempted murder and two counts of hit-and-run stemming from a fatal crash last week, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
“Following an altercation on Thursday outside a Compton restaurant, Knight allegedly was driving his truck when he ran over two men standing in the parking lot,” read the statement. “One man was injured and the second man, Terry Carter, 55, died. The driver of the pickup fled the scene.”
Knight is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday in Los Angeles and is facing a life sentence if convicted.
On Monday afternoon, Knight’s $2 million bail was revoked, with a spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Department citing “possible flight risk, three-strike candidate, possible witness intimidation issues and [Knight’s] criminal past” as reasons for the reversal.
Knight surrendered to authorities last Friday morning and was interviewed by police for three hours, according to the Los Angeles Times. While Knight’s lawyer admitted that the music executive was behind the wheel when Carter was killed and 51-year-old Cle Denyale Slaon was injured, he told the Associated Press that the incident was unintentional.
“We are confident that once the investigation is completed, he will be totally exonerated,” James Blatt said. “He was in the process of being physically assaulted by two men and in an effort to escape he unfortunately hit two [other] individuals. He was in his car trying to escape.”
But witnesses who were at the scene dispute that claim, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. John Corina. “The people we talked to say it looked like it was an intentional act,” said Corina.
The crash occurred in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant following an altercation on the set of the upcoming N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton. According to the Los Angeles Times, Knight followed the two men to the parking lot after the altercation and struck them with his red pickup truck.