Resurrected Death Row Records Reissuing Dr. Dre’s “The Chronic”
There’s a new ownership team behind Death Row Records, and their first order of business is to reissue the famed rap label’s first landmark album, Dr. Dre’s The Chronic. The Re Lit & From the Vault edition of Dre’s 1992 debut, which introduced the world to “Nuthin’ But a G Thang” and Snoop Doggy Dogg, will feature the album’s original 16 tracks, plus a bonus DVD with music videos, an interview with Dre and seven previously unreleased songs from the Death Row vault. The Chronic reissue is due out September 1st. There’s also a remix contest to coincide with the reissue, details of which can be found at the brand new Death Row site.
All the tracks on The Chronic, which made Rolling Stone‘s Greatest Albums of All Time, have been remastered. While the standard reissue will be available at all retailers, Walmart will have an exclusive on the “clean” version of The Chronic. (As anyone who watched MTV circa 1993 can attest, “Dre Day” is way different than “Fuck Wit Dre Day (And Everybody’s Celebratin’)”). The Walmart edition will also boast two more (clean) songs from the Death Row vaults.
As Rock Daily reported in January, Death Row Records became property of Canadian development company WIDEawake Entertainment Group after Suge Knight’s was forced to auction off his beleagured label for $18 million. Rather than attempt to reestablish Death Row as a premiere rap label, WIDEawake will instead focus on Death Row’s glory years, with The Chronic reissue the first step in a rollout of a dense catalog that also features Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle and Tupac Shakur’s All Eyez On Me.
Check below for the seven songs dug out of the Death Row vaults for The Chronic Re Lit & From the Vault:
1. “Poor Young Dave” (featuring Snoop Dogg)
2. “Slippin in the West” (featuring CPO and Kurupt)
3. “Smoke Enough Bud” (featuring Jewell and Snoop Dogg)
4. “Foo Nay Mic” (featuring CPO)
5. “Dog Collar” (featuring Snoop Dogg, Lady V, KV, Big Pimpin and Badazz)
6. “Touchdown” (featuring Snoop Dogg and Threat)
7. “Would You Ride” (featuring Kurupt, Daz and Snoop Dogg)
• Dr. Dre Teases Long-Awaited “Detox” With Dr. Pepper Ad
• New Dr. Dre Song Possibly Destined For “Detox” Leaks
• N.W.A Biopic in the Works, Ice Cube and Dr. Dre To Produce
FloydFest 2023, to Be Headlined by Black Crowes and My Morning Jacket, Is in Limbo
- Festival in Jeopardy