Phantogram, Metric, DNCE Prep Eighties Covers for AIDS Charity Comp
Phantogram, Metric, DNCE and Aloe Blacc have contributed covers of Eighties hits to amfAR‘s upcoming charity compilation, The Time Is Now, benefiting AIDS research, Billboard reports.
The project will arrive October 7th via Republic Records and Mass Appeal, with Blacc’s rendition of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” serving as the lead single.
Blacc flips the seminal disco-pop track into a grungy, slow-burning blues cut, but balances the grit and fuzz with elements of the shimmering original. Over stomping drums, a crisp guitar bounces off another that drones like a buzzsaw, while Blacc cakes his soulful vocals in static, giving them an extra punch as he unleashes his Jackson-esque falsetto.
Along with Blacc’s rendition of “Billie Jean,” The Time Is Now will feature Phantogram covering Phil Collins’ “Take Me Home,” DNCE performing Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” Metric tackling the Church’s “Under the Milky Way” and Lower Dens doing Hall and Oates’ “Maneater.”
Trump Says He Didn’t Call for 'Death and Destruction,' Simply Voiced His Concern It Would Happen
Trump Allies Are Begging Him to Stop Hinting at Violence on Social Media
She Escaped Scientology in the Trunk of a Car. Her Nightmare Is Far From Over
Pink Duets With Kelly Clarkson as She Accepts iHeartRadio Icon Award: A 'Miracle'
The Time Is Now Track List
1. “Take Me Home” (Phil Collins) — Phantogram
2. “Bizarre Love Triangle” (New Order) — Sugar for Sugar
3. “Under the Milky Way” (The Church) — Metric
4. “Whip It” (Devo) — Brazilian Girls
5. “Rio” (Duran Duran) — Bebel Gilberto
6. “What’s Love Got to Do With It” (Tina Turner) — DNCE
7. “Billie Jean”(Michael Jackson) — Aloe Blacc
8. “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” (Culture Club) — Dita Von Teese and Sebastien Tellier
9. “Maneater” (Hall & Oates) — Lower Dens
10. “Genius of Love” (Tom Tom Club) — Chaos Chaos
11. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)” (Whitney Houston) — Marian Hill
12. “Pride (In the Name of Love)” (U2) — LP
13. “Lovesong” (The Cure) — Yuna
14. “Dance Hall Days” (Wang Chung) — Theophilus London
Adele Extends Las Vegas Residency: Here's How to Get Tickets Online
- ADELE TICKETS ONLINE