Paul McCartney has been hospitalized for the virus that caused him to cancel a string of Japanese dates and one in South Korea earlier this week. A rep for the former Beatle says the treatment he received at a Tokyo hospital was successful. “He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest,” the statement said. “Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.”
Reports of McCartney’s hospitalization began circulating online early Thursday morning. As reported by USA Today (via Japan’s Sankei Sports newspaper), McCartney had been admitted after his infection worsened.
Last weekend, McCartney postponed a number of dates on the Japanese leg of his Out There tour after coming down with the virus. On Tuesday, he canceled the remaining dates of the tour, including his much-anticipated return to the Nippon Budokan where the Beatles played in 1966. Later, he canceled the final date of his Asian tour, which was to take place in Seoul, Korea. “I was really looking forward to visiting and playing in South Korea for the first time and I’m sorry to be letting fans down,” he said in a statement.
McCartney had attempted to kick off his Asian trek on an uptick. Last week, he debuted the whimsical video for “Appreciate,” a track off last year’s New album, exclusively in Japan in advance of the tour.
McCartney is currently scheduled to tour the U.S. in June, playing 18 gigs. The final show will take place at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park, the stadium’s final show; as it happens, it was also where the Beatles played their final full concert in August 1966.