Godspeed You! Black Emperor will release their sixth studio album, Luciferian Towers, on September 22nd via Constellation Records. The Canadian post-rock collective will promote the LP with a North American and European tour launching September 3rd at Montreal’s Mile Ex End Musique Montréal Festival and concluding November 7th at Paris’ Elysée Montmartre, Pitchfork reports.
The four-track album, which follows 2015’s Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress, will be available on 180-gram vinyl and CD, both packaged with 100 percent recycled materials. An unboxing video, soundtracked by a lush orchestral drone, previews the vinyl edition, which includes a poster and digital download.
In a statement about the LP, Godspeed You! Black Emperor wrote that Luciferian Towers was “informed by the following grand demands”: “an end to foreign invasions,” “an end to borders,” “the total dismantling of the prison-industrial complex” “healthcare, housing, food and water acknowledged as an inalienable human right” and “the expert fuckers who broke this world never get to speak again.”
The nine-piece band added that they created the album “in the midst of communal mess, raising dogs and children.” They continued, “eyes up and filled with dreadful joy – we aimed for wrong notes that explode, a quiet muttering amplified heavenward. We recorded it all in a burning motorboat.”
The group also released statements about each of the four tracks.
1. UNDOING A LUCIFERIAN TOWERS – look at that fucking skyline! big lazy money writ in dull marble obelisks! imagine all those buildings much later on, hollowed out and stripped bare of wires and glass, listen- the wind is whistling through all 3,000 of its burning window-holes!
2. BOSSES HANG – labor, alienated from the wealth it creates, so that holy cow, most of us live precariously! kicking at it, but barely hanging on! also – the proud illuminations of our shortened lives! also – more of us than them! also – what we need now is shovels, wells, and barricades!
3. FAM / FAMINE – how they kill us = absentee landlord, burning high-rise. the loud panics of child-policemen and their exploding trigger-hands. with the dull edge of an arbitrary meritocracy. neglect, cancer maps, drone strike, famine. the forest is burning and soon they’ll hunt us like wolves.
4. ANTHEM FOR NO STATE – kanada, emptied of its minerals and dirty oil. emptied of its trees and water. a crippled thing, drowning in a puddle, covered in ants. the ocean doesn’t give a shit because it knows it’s dying too.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Luciferian Towers
Trump, Done with Democracy, Calls on Kari Lake to Be ‘Installed’ as Arizona’s Governor
Kanye Storms Off Podcast After Host Gently Pushes Back on His Antisemitism
Will Smith Talks ‘Horrific’ Oscars Slap in First Late Night Interview Since Incident: ‘That Is Not Who I Want to Be’
Adam Sandler Let His Daughters Write His Gotham Awards Speech — And They Absolutely Roasted Him
1. “Undoing A Luciferian Towers”
2. “Bosses Hang”
4. “Anthem For No State”
Godspeed You! Black Emperor Tour Dates
September 3rd – Montréal, Quebec @ Mile Ex End Musique Montréal Festival
September 22nd – Guadalajara, Mexico @ C3 Stage
September 23rd – Ciudad de México, Mexico @ Festival Aural
October 13th-14th – Rome, Italy @ Romaeuropa Festival
October 15th – Fribourg, Switzerland @ Frison
October 16th – Toulouse, France @ Le Bikini
October 17th – Bordeaux, France @ Krakatoa
October 18th – Rennes, France @ Théâtre National de Bretagne
October 19th – Rouen, France @ Le 106
October 20th – Lyon, France @ Le Tobogan
October 21st – Strasbourg, France @ La Laiterie
October 22nd – Lille, France @ La Condition publique
October 23rd – Brighton, England @ Brighton Dome
October 27th – Glasgow, Scotland @ ABC
October 28th – Manchester, England @ Victoria Warehouse
October 30th – Bristol, England @ Motion
October 31st – London, England @ Troxy
November 1st – Brussels, Belgium @ Vorst Nationaal
November 2nd – Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Paradiso
November 3rd – Berlin, Germany @ Festsaal Kreuzberg
November 5th – Hanover, Germany @ Indiego
November 7th – Paris, France @ Elysée Montmartre