A representative for Elton John rebuked Donald Trump advisor Anthony Scaramucci’s announcement that the singer would perform at the president-elect’s January inauguration. “The reports that Elton is performing at Trump’s inauguration are not true,” John’s rep told Rolling Stone in a statement. “He will not be performing.”
Scaramucci delivered the now-debunked news Wednesday in an interview with BBC HARDtalk, saying, “Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall for the inauguration.” He added that Trump will be the “first American president in U.S. history that enters the White House with a pro-gay-rights stance.”
— BBC HARDtalk (@BBCHARDtalk) November 22, 2016
John previously distanced himself from the Trump camp in February, requesting the campaign not use his songs, including “Tiny Dancer” and “Rocket Man,” at rallies. “I don’t really want my music to be involved in anything to do with an American election campaign. I’m British,” he told the Guardian. “I’ve met Donald Trump – he was very nice to me. It’s nothing personal. His political views are his own; mine are very different, I’m not a Republican in a million years. Why not ask Ted fucking Nugent? Or one of those fucking country stars? They’ll do it for you.”
The John non-announcement marks the second musical mix-up of the past week regarding Trump’s inauguration. Vince Neil recently revealed that he was recruited to perform at the Washington D.C. event on January 20th; however, he announced hours later that he’d been “uninvited” from the event.
John released his 32nd studio album, Wonderful Crazy Night, in February. The singer-songwriter made a guest appearance on the “final” A Tribe Called Quest album, We Got It From Here, Thank You for Your Service, alongside heavyweights like Andre 3000, Jack White, Kendrick Lamar and Busta Rhymes.