DJ AM Had Multiple OxyContin In System at Time of Death: Report
Adam “DJ AM” Goldstein reportedly had eight undigested OxyContin pills in his stomach and a ninth pill in his mouth when police found him dead on August 28th, a law enforcement source close to the investigation into the 36-year-old’s sudden death told People. As Rock Daily previously reported, a bag of crack and a crack pipe were also found at AM’s New York apartment Friday night. While authorities are reportedly investigating the case as an accidental overdose, the People source insinuates that AM’s death might have been a suicide.
See pictures of DJ AM with Travis Barker, Fergie, Jay-Z and more.
Goldstein “smoked a lot of crack, barricaded the doors and killed himself,” the source said. When police came to AM’s SoHo apartment after friends alerted authorities that he’d failed to make a flight to Las Vegas earlier in the day, they reportedly found mirrors propped up against the doors, forcing the police to break a mirror that was barricading access to AM’s bedroom. “He wanted to die,” the source tells People. “He was going unconscious when he took the last one. He didn’t even swallow it.” The results of a toxicology report are expected in a few weeks; the initial autopsy did not determine cause of death.
Police also found photos and Valentine’s Day cards from AM’s girlfriend Hayley Wood strewn through the apartment. Goldstein and Wood had reportedly recently broken up. However, in the new issue of Us Weekly, Wood says, “Any indication that this horribly tragic accident happened because of a rumored breakup is not only untrue but disgusting. We were very much together at the time of his passing, and I love him very much.”
Look back at more musicians lost before their time.
As Rock Daily previously reported, AM had developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines while recovering from the deadly jet crash he survived in 2008 with Blink-182’s Travis Barker. Goldstein, a recovering addict who had been clean for over a decade, was also forced to confront his past while working on the MTV reality series Gone Too Far, in which AM helped young drug addicts through their troubles. During filming, AM held a crack pipe for the first time since he’d recovered and was reportedly spooked by the experience.
A private memorial for Goldstein will be held Thursday evening at the Hollywood Palladium, MTV News reports. The DJ’s family has asked fans to make donations to the National MS Society, Southern California Chapter, or women’s rehab facility Friendly House instead of sending flowers.
• DJ AM Reportedly Found With Crack in New York Apartment
• Blink-182 Cancel Saratoga Concert Due to DJ AM’s Death
• DJ AM Found Dead in New York