90+ Dead at Great White Show
Ninety-five people are confirmed dead after a fire broke out during
a performance by veteran metal band Great White at the Station club
in West Warwick, Rhode Island, late Thursday night. Rescue workers
were still combing through the one-story venue Friday evening.
Great White guitarist Ty Longley is among the missing.
Pyrotechnic sparklers set the blaze by igniting the club’s
eleven-feet-tall ceiling. The club was engulfed in flames in less
than three minutes, giving many of the victims little time to reach
one of the club’s three exits. The Station did not have a permit
for pyrotechnics, and, because its maximum capacity is just 300,
the venue was not required to have a sprinkler system. According to
Great White singer Jack Russell, the club gave the band permission
to use the pyrotechnics.
More than 180 fans were treated for injuries sustained in the
fire, and sixty concert-goers are thought to have escaped
Russell will speak with Connie Chung on CNN tonight at 8 p.m. A
statement on Great White’s official Web site reads, “In light of
the horrible incident that occurred in West Warwick, RI, our
thoughts and prayers go out to everybody that lost their lives or
'This Is Extraordinary': Why The Eras Tour Is Taylor Swift's Greatest Live Triumph Yet.
- Every Night With Us Is Like A Dream