Following up your big breakthrough isn’t the work of a moment. For the members of Parmalee, who had played together and released albums for more than a decade before their 2013 LP Feels Like Carolina rose to the Top 10 on the country charts, it’s taken the better part of four years. But with their new album, 27861 – due July 21st – the four-piece is making sure to keep things close to home.
27861, the North Carolina band’s sixth album and second on the BBR Music imprint Stoney Creek Records, is named for the zip code of their hometown, Parmele. “We all have that tattooed on us somewhere,” says singer and guitarist Matt Thomas of the numerals. “We’ve had that album title for a while; we’ve really been wanting to use it. We just felt like now was the time to use it.”
Thomas admits that “picking the songs for the album was one of the hardest processes we’ve had to do.” He and his bandmates had started off with about 35 songs that were eventually whittled down to the 12 that make up the final track list. Among them are new single “Sunday Morning,” which opens 27861 and was released in April, and “Roots,” the closing track.
Parmalee drop 27861 on July 21st. Currently on tour, they play Mandalay Bay Beach in Las Vegas tomorrow night, June 2nd.
Here’s the track list for 27861:
1. “Sunday Morning” (Matt Thomas, Ross Copperman, Josh Osborne)
2. “American Nights” (Matt Thomas, Tommy Cecil, Jay Brunswick, Frank Rogers)
3. “Heartbreaker” (Brock Berryhill, Jay Brunswick, Jason Blaine)
4. “Like a Photograph” (Matt Thomas, Andrew Dorff, busbee)
5. “Back in the Game” (Rodney Clawson, Hillary Lindsey, Matt Dragstrem)
6. “Mimosas” (Matt Thomas, Tommy Cecil, Jared Tyler Mullins)
7. “Hotdamalama” (Matt
Thomas, Tommy Cecil, Craig Wiseman)
8. “A Guy Meets a Girl” (Matt Thomas, Chase McGill, Jessie Jo Dillon
9. “Savannah” (Matt Thomas, Tom Douglas, Zachary Maloy)
10. “Drink It Off” (Matt Thomas, Jim Beavers, Lindsay Rimes)
11. “Barrel of a Shot Glass” (Matt Thomas, Barry Knox, David Fanning, Ben Stennis)
12. “Roots” (Jared
Mullins, Ben Stennis, Blake Bollinger)