When Luke Bryan releases his fifth studio album Kill the Lights on August 7th, he’ll do so with one tantalizing duet. Karen Fairchild of Little Big Town joins the stadium headliner on the song “Home Alone Tonight.” The track list for Bryan’s upcoming LP was released this morning.
The addition of Fairchild to any project is reason to take note. Along with her signature vocal work in Little Big Town — it’s her impassioned delivery that elevates the quartet’s hit “Girl Crush” — Fairchild is one of country music’s most in-demand duet partners. She’s performed with everyone from Keith Urban, handling Miranda Lambert’s parts on “We Were Us” while on tour with Urban, to John Mellencamp, who enlisted her for the collaboration “A Ride Back Home” on his 2008 Life, Death, Love and Freedom album.
While Kill the Lights‘ first single, “Kick the Dust Up,” is a party-starting jam, Bryan says the album represents a wealth of styles and moods. “I’ve got some stuff that is as deep as ‘Drink a Beer,’ love songs, sad songs,” Bryan recently told Rolling Stone Country, referencing his poignant 2013 Number One. “[‘Kick the Dust Up’] isn’t indicative of everything on the album. . . The main thing is ‘Kick the Dust Up’ gets it goin’, gets it rockin’. It’s a big, fun, summer, outdoorsy anthem.”
Produced by Jeff Stevens and Jody Stevens, Kill the Lights features 13 tracks, six of them co-written by Bryan. The first three are a veritable call to action, with titles imploring one to “Kick the Dust Up,” “Kill the Lights” and “Strip It Down.” Other songs include the outdoorsy anthem “Huntin’, Fishin’ and Lovin’ Every Day,” co-written with frequent creative partner Dallas Davidson, and the Cole Swindell songwriting collaboration “Corner Booth,” one of three songs on a special deluxe edition.
Bryan will perform in Oklahoma on Thursday, before a massive stadium show at Vanderbilt University in Nashville this weekend.
Here is the track list for Bryan’s Kill the Lights:
1. Kick the Dust Up (Dallas Davidson, Chris Destefano and Ashley Gorley)
2. Kill the Lights (Luke Bryan, Jody Stevens and Jeff Stevens)
3. Strip It Down (Luke Bryan, Jon Nite and Ross Copperman)
4. Home Alone Tonight (Featuring Karen Fairchild) (Jody Stevens, Cole Taylor, Jaida Dreyer and Tommy Cecil)
5. Razor Blade (Jeff Hyde, Ryan Tyndell and Rodney Clawson)
6. Fast (Luke Bryan, Rodney Clawson and Luke Laird)
7. Move (Luke Bryan, Michael Carter and Jay Clementi)
8. Just Over (Chase McGill, Brad Tursi and Jessie Jo Dillon)
9. Love It Gone (Jody Stevens and Jay Clementi)
10. Way Way Back (Luke Bryan, Ashley Gorley and Rodney Clawson)
11. To the Moon and Back (Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey and Tony Lane)
12. Huntin,’ Fishin’ and Lovin’ Every Day (Luke Bryan, Dallas Davidson, Rhett Akins and Ben Hayslip)
13. Scarecrows (Ashley Gorley, Trevor Rosen and Shane McAnally)
14. Corner Booth (Luke Bryan, Cole Swindell and Jimmy Robbins)
15. Little Boys Grow Up and Dogs Get Old (Luke Bryan and Tony Lane)
16. Buddies (Luke Bryan and Dallas Davidson)