One day after making an appearance on the American Idol season finale, Jon Pardi has announced plans for his new album Heartache Medication and released its steady grooving title track. Heartache Medication, Pardi’s first full-length album since 2016’s California Sunrise, will be released on September 27th.
Kicking off with a chipper fiddle count, “Heartache Medication” heads straight to the dusty, boot-scuffed dive bars of the world to offer up a story of — what else? — drinking away a little heartbreak. “Here I go again, I’m drinkin’ one, I’m drinkin’ two/I got my heartache medication,” sings Pardi, who wrote the song with Barry Dean and Natalie Hemby. And if those lines scan as a little bummed out, the rhythmic, danceable mix of fiddle, steel and Pardi’s twang that accompanies them actually makes getting over a breakup sound like pure bliss.
Pardi experienced a major breakthrough with California Sunrise, scoring a series of hits including “Head Over Boots,” “Dirt on My Boots,” “Heartache on the Dance Floor” and “Night Shift.” On Sunday’s season finale of American Idol, Pardi joined up with eventual champion Laine Hardy to sing “Night Shift” and “Dirt on My Boots.” Pardi also appears on the collaboration “Beer Can’t Fix” from Thomas Rhett’s upcoming album Center Point Road.
Along with the news of his upcoming album, Pardi has announced dates for his headlining Heartache Medication Tour, featuring guest Riley Green. The trek will get underway October 1st with back-to-back nights at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium, with shows running through November 2nd in Bakersfield, California.
Jon Pardi’s Heartache Medication Tour dates:
October 1 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
October 2 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
October 4 – Minneapolis, MN @ The Armory
October 5 – Milwaukee, WI @ Eagle’s Ballroom
October 10 – Oklahoma City, OK @ The Critereon
October 12 – Helotes, TX @ Floores Country Store
October 24 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
October 25 – Boise, ID @ Revolution Concert House and Event Center
October 26 – Salt Lake City, UT @ the Depot
October 31 – Phoenix, AZ @ Comerica Theatre
November 1 – San Diego, CA @ Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre
November 2 – Bakersfield, CA @ Rabobank Theater
Heartache Medication track listing (announced May 29th):
1. “Old Hat” (Jeff Hyde, Matt Jenkins and Ryan Tyndell)
2. “Heartache Medication” (Jon Pardi, Barry Dean and Natalie Hemby)
3. “Nobody Leaves a Girl Like That” (Bart Butler, Marv Green and Jimmy Yeary)
4. “Ain’t Always the Cowboy” (Brandon Kinney and Josh Thompson)
5. “Me and Jack” (Jon Pardi, Rhett Akins, Bart Butler and Luke Laird)
6. “Don’t Blame It on Whiskey” (Featuring Lauren Alaina) (Eric Church, Michael Heeney, Luke Laird and Miranda Lambert)
7. “Tied One On” (Bart Butler, Chase McGill and Jamie Paulin)
8. “Oughta Know That” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Luke Laird)
9. “Tequila Little Time” (Jon Pardi, Rhett Akins and Luke Laird)
10. “Buy That Man a Beer” (Clint Daniels, Justin Lantz and John Pierce)
11. “Call Me Country” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Driver Williams)
12. “Just Like Old Times” (Jon Pardi, Jeff Hyde and Michael Heeney)
13. “Love Her Like She’s Leaving” (Bart Butler, Dean Dillon and Jessie Jo Dillon)
14. “Starlight” (Jon Pardi, Bart Butler and Jeffrey Steele)