Chris Young invited fans to help announce the track listing for his upcoming fifth studio album, I’m Comin’ Over, this week, asking online users to share the news via social media in exchange for a look at the song list. They revealed 11 new songs including the gold-certified title track and two big-name guest stars, Vince Gill and Cassadee Pope.
Set for a November 13th release, Young co-produced the album (a first for him) with Corey Crowder and co-wrote nine tracks, making this his most personal and challenging release to date.
“Making this record, it just feels different,” says the singer. “Nothing changed for the sake of change. It changed because it was the right way to go. . . Half the songs on the record were written by me, Corey (Crowder) and Josh (Hoge). That became the nucleus of this record, and that was really different for me.”
Back in September, Young told Rolling Stone Country he was involved in the entire creation process —from songwriting and pre-production to stitching together each and every melody. But not wanting to diverge to far from Number One hits like “Gettin’ You Home” and “Tomorrow,” themes of love and rejection pepper the new project.
“I think love — or the lack of it — is easily relatable for everybody,” he said. “There’s always other [topics], as least for me as a songwriter. There’s a summer song on this record and different things, for sure, but falling in love and falling out of love — trying to decide whether you’re in or out of it, all that stuff — is really easily relatable for people. I’ve definitely lived my share of love songs and breakup songs.”
“I’m Comin’ Over” (the song) is a Top 15 example of that outlook, while Gill lends harmony vocals to the reflective “Sober Saturday Night.” “I Know a Guy” feels like classic, broken-hearted country with a clever twist. But the love song that really stands out in Young’s mind is “Think of You,” a regret-filled, conversational duet with Pope. It’s the first male-female duet Young has ever included on an album.
“It is a little bit different because if you tell somebody, ‘Hey, we wrote a male-female duet,’ they’re going to instantly think it’s a ballad,” Young said. “But this one is not; it’s more of a tempo song, and it’s an interesting perspective on how when you’re in a relationship with somebody for so long, all of your friends start to think of you as a pair. So when that’s over, it can be really strange, not only for you, but also for the people you’re around.”
Young’s upcoming ‘I’m Comin’ Over’ tour with Eric Paslay and Clare Dunn kicks off October 22nd in Savannah, Georgia, wrapping up December 5th in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
I’m Comin’ Over Track Listing and Writing Credits
1. “Heartbeat” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
2. “I’m Comin’ Over” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
3. “Think Of You” (Duet with Cassadee Pope) (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
- “You Do The Talkin'”(Cary Barlowe, Corey Crowder, Liz Rose)
5. “I Know A Guy” (Benjy Davis, Brett Tyler)
6. “Alone Tonight” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
7. “Sunshine Overtime” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jeremy Stover)
8. “Sober Saturday Night” (featuring Vince Gill) (Chris Young, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
9. “Underdogs” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Josh Hoge)
10. “Callin’ My Name” (Chris Young, Corey Crowder, Jonathan Singleton)
11. “What If I Stay” (Chris Young, Johnny Bulford, Josh Hoge)