Jimmy Buffett's 31st album is full of chill evocations of island life, from "Einstein Was a Surfer" to "Somethin' 'Bout a Boat." His music is an island, too – a place apart where country, old-guy rock, jokey storytelling and Caribbean rhythms lap into one another. Buffett clearly has Wi-Fi on his boat ("Useless But Important Information" takes a shot at Twitter, and "I'm No Russian" references persecuted punks Pussy Riot). But he's most likable drifting away from the real world, as on "Too Drunk to Karaoke," a duet with Toby Keith, and "Tides," an ode to his own flip-flops-rocking leisure that could make a landlubber jealous.
Songs From St. Somewhere
- Songs From St. Somewhere
- Jimmy Buffett
From The Archives Issue 1190: August 29, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed the Bands They Made Famous
Salon5 Secrets to Great Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Cracked5 Movies That Made Huge Stars Quit Acting Forever
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
- Grateful Dead Archivist Details Massive, New 80-Disc Box Set
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Dawn of the Dead
- Caitlyn Jenner on Future: 'I'm Going to Go Enjoy Life'
- John Oliver Pleads for Sepp Blatter's Ouster on 'Last Week Tonight'
- Noel Gallagher Talks One Direction, Oasis Brawls on 'James Corden'
- Hear Eminem's Hard-Hitting 'Southpaw' Song 'Phenomenal'
- Lil Boosie Gets Real: MC on Prison, Protests and 'Classic' New LP
- See Pixies Play 'Planet of Sound,' New Song 'Um Chagga Lagga'