It's been five years since Lily Allen's last album, a period in which the U.K. pop diva got married and had kids. But fear not – she's still the same firecracker who turned heads in the mid-'00s with eclectic, post-hip-hop tunes and bullshit-slaying lyrics. The brilliantly titled Sheezus has loads of great punch lines ("I don't give a fuck about your Instagram or your lovely house or your ugly kids," she sings on "Insincerely Yours"). But Allen also rocks a sisterly warmth: The title track deals honestly with returning to compete with artists she loves, like Gaga and Lorde: "I'm prepared/Not gonna lie, though/I'm kinda scared." Please, girl.
- Lily Allen
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1210: June 5, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- 50 Cent Arrested for Profanity-Laced Concert in St. Kitts
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- Watch Adele Perform 'Someone Like You' at Glastonbury
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- Guns N' Roses Thrill in Detroit With Electric Reunion Tour Opener
- How the 'Warcraft' Movie Failed
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time