With Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark and others reshaping Nashville's singer-songwriter landscape, it may be time for Laura Cantrell, a New York banker(!) and indie-country vet shaped by but not chained to country history. Cut in Music City with local help, her new LP might have been titled for opener "All the Girls Are Complicated." They sure are: See "Letter She Sent," a trio of character studies that go from beat to modestly beatific, and "Driving Down Your Street," slyly using military snare to suggest a lover's obsessive resolve. Cantrell brings bell-like vocal clarity to her stories, which illuminate more than explain – just enough to make you want to hear 'em again.
No Way There From Here
- No Way There From Here
- Laura Cantrell
- Thrift Shop
From The Archives Issue 1202: February 13, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
MTV News19 Songs You Didn’t Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Diffuser21 Best Alt Rock Albums
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- Prince: Remembering the Rock Star, Funk Lord, Provocateur, Genius
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- Ted Cruz Will Die So That You May Live
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the GOP Presidential Nominee, Donald Trump
- Watch Beck's Soulful Cover of Prince's 'Raspberry Beret'
- See Prince Proteges the Family Pay Tribute With New 'Nothing Compares 2 U'