Southern California soulman Aloe Blacc, who sang lead on Avicii's 2013 smash "Wake Me Up," will probably be enjoying some nice royalty checks for years to come – but while every college student in the hemisphere surely recognizes his voice, not nearly as many fans know his name. Blacc's major-label debut tries to change that with a set of hooky soul-pop tunes layered with folk-tinged acoustic elements. Highlights like the boisterous "Can You Do This" and an EDM-free mix of "Wake Me Up" (just in case anyone forgot he's that guy) are plenty radio-friendly, but the songs never quite add up to a cohesive album. At least he's still got that smoky vibrato.
Lift Your Spirit
- Lift Your Spirit
- Aloe Blacc
From The Archives Issue 1204: March 13, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
MTV News19 Songs You Didn’t Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Diffuser21 Best Alt Rock Albums
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- What Should We Make of the Hillary Clinton Indictment Speculation?
- What Jon Snow's Return Means for 'Game of Thrones'
- Met Gala 2016: Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Nicki Minaj and More
- How Six Classic Rock Legends United for One Mega Festival
- Watch Pearl Jam Perform With Sting, Cheap Trick in New York
- Stones, McCartney, Dylan, the Who, Waters, Young Confirm Mega-Fest
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time