I have the same allergic reaction to this open faucet of tear-jerking swill as I do to the 1996 Nicholas Sparks novel that inspired it. It's two cringe-worthy love stories for the price of one: Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in the 1940s flashbacks, with James Garner and Gena Rowlands — mom of the film's director, Nick Cassavetes — doing nursing-home duty in the present day. Their careers will survive, but there's no way to endure the movie without earplugs and a blindfold.
- The Notebook
- James Garner, Gena Rowlands, Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling, Joan Allen
- Directed by Nick Cassavetes
From The Archives Issue 329: October 30, 1980
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- In Response to Trump, Another Dangerous Movement Appears
- Future: Syrup, Strippers and Heavy Angst With the Superstar MC
- FBI Adds 10th Woman to 'Most Wanted' List: Meet Them All
- The Reaction to Brexit Is the Reason Brexit Happened
- How Samantha Bee Crashed the Late-Night Boys' Club
- Watch the Beatles' Hypnotic 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' Video
- Hear Jeff Beck's Hendrix-Inspired New Ballad 'Scared for the Children'