Dustin Hoffman may be late to the party, making his debut as a director at 75. But the guy's a natural. It's Hollywood that's selling plastics. Hoffman uses all he's learned as a virtuoso actor to shape a film of flesh-and-blood characters, flushed with humor and tenderness. The defiantly funny and touching Quartet, based on a play by Ronald Harwood (The Dresser), concerns opera musicians living a not-so-vida-loca in a cozy retirement home in the British countryside. Illness isn't absent, but self-pity is. What shakes up the place is the arrival of prima donna Jean Horton (Maggie Smith, who else?). Tenor Reggie Paget (Tom Courtenay, superb) is horrified. His marriage to Jean was short, his bitterness lasting. There's some nonsense about the home going under unless Jean and Reggie team up for a benefit concert with contralto Cissy (a poignant Pauline Collins) and baritone Wilf Bond (Billy Connolly, a randy hoot). Not to worry. The actors are world-class charmers, and the magnificent Dame Maggie is the diva divine. Her wit still stings, as it does on Downton Abbey. But Hoffman also has the grace to let cinematographer John De Borman light her simply sitting still, showing a timeless fire and beauty. Hoffman doesn't wallow in the ravages of age. He celebrates resilience in the face of it. His Quartet makes sweet music that's irresistible.
- Maggie Smith
- Directed by Dustin Hoffman
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
AskMenThe 40 Best Guy Movies Of All Time
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Skulls, Satan and Dave Grohl: Inside Mysterious Occult-Rock Band Ghost
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Donald Trump, Gets Debate Advice From Obama
- Jon Stewart Bids Farewell to Fox News: 'Adios, Motherf---ers'
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Are Rogue Militants Preparing for War on American Soil?
- 25 Worst Original Names of Famous Bands
- 25 Best 'Daily Show' Correspondents
- Rey Mysterio Comes Full Circle: Life, Death and Rebirth in Wrestling