It's not really a movie. It's Johnny Knoxville, 42, and his Jackass crew faking out real people into believing he's 86-year-old Irving Zisman, an old fart bag traveling cross-country to deliver his eight-year-old grandson, Billy (the up-for-anything Jackson Nicoll), to his father. Mom's in jail for being a crack whore. Even when his balls are hanging out, Grandpa means well. Is Knoxville going soft on us? Nah. Bad Grandpa is still the fucked-up family movie of choice, especially if your family has done jail time. Knoxville remains an indestructible comic anarchist. But it's disconcerting to see the Jackass team of Knoxville, director Jeff Tremaine and producer Spike Jonze collaborate on a script that has a beginning, middle and end. Don't worry too much. Everything devolves into a series of hit-and-miss gags as Grandpa and Billy bust into a wedding, a funeral, a male strip joint and a child beauty pageant. Billy in drag grinds it out to "Cherry Pie." In Borat style, hidden cameras catch real people reeling in horror. Hard to believe. Since MTV spawned the Jackass series in 2000, followed by multiple movies of scary stunts and scarier self-abuse, the shock value has worn off. The Kardashians have taken reality to a place no one wants to be. Knoxville keeps on keeping on. But if you've seen one old guy shit himself, you've seen them all.
- Bad Grandpa
- Johnny Knoxville
- Directed by Jeff Tremaine
From The Archives Issue 1195: November 7, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- 10 Things We Learned From L.A. Reid's Juicy Tell-All
- Sorry, Not Sorry: Watch 29 Celebs Perform Justin Bieber Hit