Home Culture Sports

UFC Denies Conor McGregor’s Rematch With Nate Diaz Is Back On

Spokesperson for UFC says McGregor’s claims he’ll fight at UFC 200 are “not accurate.” What happens now?

Another hour, another update in the ongoing spat between Conor McGregor and UFC, as a spokesperson for the promotion has denied the fighter’s claim that he’s back on the card for UFC 200.

Early Monday morning, McGregor took to Twitter to announce his rematch against Nate Diaz – scrapped by UFC President Dana White last week after Mac refused to break training camp in Iceland to promote the bout – was back on, and thanked White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta for “Getting this done for the fans.”

However, a UFC rep flatly denied that claim, telling Rolling Stone: “That tweet is not accurate.”

White echoed those sentiments to TMZ Sports, saying, “It’s not true. We haven’t talked to Conor or his manager since [Friday’s] press conference. I don’t know why he would tweet that.

“All the media keeps asking me [if McGregor will fight at UFC 200]. I feel like the scene in ‘Step Brothers’ when they ask if they can build the bunk beds,” White continued. “I don’t know how many more times I can say the fight is off, or how many more press conferences I can have saying the fight is off for people to believe it’s off.”

Last week, McGregor shocked the MMA world by abruptly announcing his retirement – only to reverse course less than 48 hours later. At Friday’s UFC 200 press event in Las Vegas, White confirmed that he had pulled McGregor from his rematch with Diaz because the Irish icon had refused to fulfill his contractual obligations to promote the fight. When he announced UFC was working to secure a new opponent for Diaz, the partisan crowd groaned with disapproval, and Diaz himself said that he wanted to once again face off against McGregor – and no one else.

In This Article: sports, UFC

Show Comments

Newswire

Powered by
Close comments

Add a comment