Home Culture Sports

Jon Jones Doping Allegations Derail UFC 200 Mega-Fight

UFC 200 main event bout between Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier had been billed as “fight of the century”

On Wednesday night, at a hastily put-together news conference, UFC President Dana White announced the UFC 200 fight between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier on July 9th was off by starting his press conference with: “The main event for UFC 200 is Mark Hunt versus Brock Lesnar.”

It turns out, USADA, the organization that handles the UFC’s anti-doping policy, notified Jones of a potential violation during a drug test on June 16th. While Jones will have the chance for a legal review process, the bout between him and Cormier, scheduled for Saturday, had to be called off.

“He’s got the chance to prove himself innocent before being called guilty, but if it’s true, it’s obviously super, super disappointing,” White said. “This is devastating to Daniel Cormier. It’s devastating to him in every way it could possibly be.”

Cormier was at UFC’s press conference. He was emotional, and said he was emotional. He had a blank stare on his face and repeatedly said how disappointed he was. He had been training to face Jones, and was set to benefit financially from it as well. The MMA world also reacted on Twitter by expressing their confusion, anger and disappointment.

This was the fourth time Cormier and Jones were scheduled to fight. Two times Jones pulled out due to injury. He defeated Cormier in their only actual bout. Jones said if UFC were ever to try and schedule a rematch, he would still take the fight. Jones has a scheduled press conference at 11:30 a.m. ET.

“To hear something like this, it’s very sad,” Cormier said. “From a competitive standpoint. From a financial standpoint. There are a number of ways in which this is disappointing. I really don’t know exactly how to explain how I’m feeling right now.”

In This Article: UFC

Show Comments

Newswire

Powered by
Close comments

Add a comment