News of David Letterman's impending retirement rocked the late-night TV world this week, and the development seems to have hit home with Jimmy Fallon. The Tonight Show host took a moment on Friday's show to reminisce about the influence Letterman had on his own career, noting that Letterman had asked a young Fallon to fill in for him when the veteran host got shingles. That's where he got "the bug" (not shingles, he clarified).
"It's hard to imagine late-night TV without him because he revolutionized it," Fallon said. "He made it what it is today."
And so, in tribute to Letterman, Fallon hijacked one of the Late Show's classic formats and did his own Top 10 list of reasons why Letterman is retiring.
10. Wants to quit while he's still able to compete on Dancing With the Stars.
9. Made millions selling crack to Rob Ford.
8. Time slot was getting too "Jimmyesque."
7. He's not retiring – he's "consciously unhosting."
6. Stop! Hammock time!
5. Hillary/Letterman 2016!
4. After 31 years, finally got through to the Obamacare website!
3. One word: E-Loprah
2. Jay Leno needs a partner for next season's Amazing Race.
1. Jimmy Fallon is stealing his bits.