The "tell" in this case was the date. The FBI got wind of this plot last summer and arrests were made back in April. So why did we hear about them on July 7, the anniversary of the London bombings? I believe the question answers itself. The story was leaked to pump up the anniversary of the London subway bombings on July 7, 2005, and remind people that if it could happen in London it could happen here. The dozens if not hundreds of law enforcement folks who worked on thwarting this embryonic plot were not part of some political scheme. But whoever chose July 7 to leak the story clearly was.
TIME.com: The Fear Card
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Cracked22 Movies That Made Huge Mistakes You Completely Missed
Salon9 Actors Who Have Done Full-Frontal Nude Scenes
Cracked23 Bizarre Demands Celebrities Have Made Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
- Blink-182 Inch Toward 'Friendly Divorce' From Tom DeLonge
- Why Baltimore Blew Up
- Inside Julian Casablancas' Post-Apocalyptic New Video 'Human Sadness'
- My Favorite Grateful Dead Song: Dave Matthews, Black Keys and More
- Watch U2 Perform 'Sweetest Thing' With Bono Impersonator
- Florence Welch on Stripping Down at Coachella and Fooling Neil Young
- Watch Tense Trailer for Sci-Fi Series 'Mr. Robot'
- Readers' Poll: The 10 Best Late-Night TV Hosts of All Time