...a handful of top advisers signed off on how the CIA would interrogate top al Qaeda suspects -- whether they would be slapped, pushed, deprived of sleep or subjected to simulated drowning, called waterboarding.
The high-level discussions about these "enhanced interrogation techniques" were so detailed, these sources said, some of the interrogation sessions were almost choreographed -- down to the number of times CIA agents could use a specific tactic.
The advisers were members of the National Security Council's Principals Committee, a select group of senior officials who met frequently to advise President Bush on issues of national security policy.
At the time, the Principals Committee included Vice President Cheney, former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell, as well as CIA Director George Tenet and Attorney General John Ashcroft.
The Torture Committee
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- WTF Happened in the New Hampshire Primary, Explained
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- What Would Actually Happen If We Broke Up the Banks?
- Watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Slam Politically Correct Youth Voters
- Watch Samantha Bee Tear Down Kansas Senator on 'Full Frontal' Premiere