...a handful of top advisers signed off on how the CIA would interrogate top al Qaeda suspects -- whether they would be slapped, pushed, deprived of sleep or subjected to simulated drowning, called waterboarding.
The high-level discussions about these "enhanced interrogation techniques" were so detailed, these sources said, some of the interrogation sessions were almost choreographed -- down to the number of times CIA agents could use a specific tactic.
The advisers were members of the National Security Council's Principals Committee, a select group of senior officials who met frequently to advise President Bush on issues of national security policy.
At the time, the Principals Committee included Vice President Cheney, former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell, as well as CIA Director George Tenet and Attorney General John Ashcroft.
The Torture Committee
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
- Sinead O'Connor Threatens Suicide in Dire Facebook Post
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- Jimmy Page Before Led Zeppelin: 20 Great Sixties Session Songs
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Pearl Jam Cover U2's 'A Sort of Homecoming' at Colombia Concert
- The 25 Greatest Christmas Albums of All Time