...a handful of top advisers signed off on how the CIA would interrogate top al Qaeda suspects -- whether they would be slapped, pushed, deprived of sleep or subjected to simulated drowning, called waterboarding.
The high-level discussions about these "enhanced interrogation techniques" were so detailed, these sources said, some of the interrogation sessions were almost choreographed -- down to the number of times CIA agents could use a specific tactic.
The advisers were members of the National Security Council's Principals Committee, a select group of senior officials who met frequently to advise President Bush on issues of national security policy.
At the time, the Principals Committee included Vice President Cheney, former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell, as well as CIA Director George Tenet and Attorney General John Ashcroft.
The Torture Committee
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Classic Shows You Had No Idea Had (Terrible) Sequels
Mic13 Albums That Prove 2015 Will Be Way Better for Music
AskMenThe Biggest Movie Jerks of All Time
SalonThe Year of the Rear: A Thorough History of 2014 in Butts
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Movies Based on Books
Cracked20 Popular Songs Written by the Last Person You Expect
- Watch D'Angelo Make Powerful Statement With 'SNL' Performance
- J.K. Simmons on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
- When Cops Break Bad: Inside a Police Force Gone Wild
- The Super Bowl Scammer: Dion Rich Is the Godfather of Gatecrashing
- Blink-182's Hoppus, Barker Blast 'Ungrateful, Disingenuous' Tom DeLonge
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Five Trailer: Snakes, Revenge, Beards
- Sia Apologizes for Controversial 'Elastic Heart' Video With Shia LaBeouf