...a handful of top advisers signed off on how the CIA would interrogate top al Qaeda suspects -- whether they would be slapped, pushed, deprived of sleep or subjected to simulated drowning, called waterboarding.
The high-level discussions about these "enhanced interrogation techniques" were so detailed, these sources said, some of the interrogation sessions were almost choreographed -- down to the number of times CIA agents could use a specific tactic.
The advisers were members of the National Security Council's Principals Committee, a select group of senior officials who met frequently to advise President Bush on issues of national security policy.
At the time, the Principals Committee included Vice President Cheney, former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell, as well as CIA Director George Tenet and Attorney General John Ashcroft.
The Torture Committee
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Drake Roasts Meek Mill, Brings Out Kanye, Pharrell at OVO Festival Set
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Jon Stewart: Goodbye to the Last Honest Newsman
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Are Divorcing
- 40 Best Things We Saw at Lollapalooza 2015
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Reba McEntire, Narvel Blackstock Allude to Divorce After 26 Years