...a handful of top advisers signed off on how the CIA would interrogate top al Qaeda suspects -- whether they would be slapped, pushed, deprived of sleep or subjected to simulated drowning, called waterboarding.
The high-level discussions about these "enhanced interrogation techniques" were so detailed, these sources said, some of the interrogation sessions were almost choreographed -- down to the number of times CIA agents could use a specific tactic.
The advisers were members of the National Security Council's Principals Committee, a select group of senior officials who met frequently to advise President Bush on issues of national security policy.
At the time, the Principals Committee included Vice President Cheney, former National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell, as well as CIA Director George Tenet and Attorney General John Ashcroft.
The Torture Committee
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
- Watch Neon Trees' Tyler Glenn Slam Mormon Church in New Solo Video
- 'Purple Rain' Director Talks Prince's Weird, Wonderful Masterpiece
- The Line That May Have Won Hillary Clinton the Nomination
- Blink-182 Celebrate Rebirth at Goofy L.A. Karaoke Bash
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 12 Great Drake Disses
- Watch David Gilmour Seamlessly Blend 'Comfortably Numb,' 'Purple Rain'
- Shirley Manson on Garbage's 'Adult' New LP, Why Music Industry Scares Her