The Barackster and 'Griftopia'?
Greetings, folks. Going to press here on a Friday afternoon at Rolling Stone; have a very long feature coming out next week on the topic of why nobody on Wall Street is going to jail.
I got a very surprising piece of news this morning; apparently the American Booksellers Association presented a list of books to president Obama for the White House library -- and my book, Griftopia, was one of them. My editor joked that one of Obama's aides probably hurtled across the room, Six Million-Dollar Man style, to keep the book out of the president's hands.
More coming, and the Supreme Court has its first ruling on the way...
Note: Apparently Obama had an exchange with a bookseller about the book:
I was the last person to hand him my book. "I figured somebody had to bring a political book" I said as I handed him a copy of Matt Taibbi's "Griftopia," a jaundiced, startling view of the financial meltdown. "Oh I know who Matt Taibbi is," Obama said. "He sometimes doesn't have a very high opinion of me." As if to prove his point, he opened the book to an early page and read aloud the chapter heading, "The Biggest A**hole in the Universe," a portrait of Alan Greenspan. "He's not talking about you there," I joked, giving him a pat on the shoulder.
Around the Web
Around the Web
- Why America Can't Quit the Drug War
- WWE Releases Damien Sandow, Wade Barrett, Alex Riley and More
- John McCain Has a Yuge Donald Trump Problem
- Dean Ween Remembers Prince: 'He Was My John Lennon'
- Watch AC/DC Prepare for Tour With Guns N' Roses Singer Axl Rose
- Radiohead Release Stunning 'Daydreaming' Video Ahead of New Album
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Is Conor McGregor Going to Fight Floyd Mayweather?