Rand Paul: Public Health Care Just Like Slavery
Forwarded to me by friend Joe Sonka at barefootandprogressive, here is a very amusing clip of Rand Paul squaring off against Bernie Sanders on the issue of health care.
With an absolutely straight face, Rand Paul in this exchange compares public health care to slavery. He says that if everyone has a right to health care, that means that people can come to his office – Rand is a doctor, after all – and “conscript” him to provide service.
Bernie’s response to Paul is amusing, but there’s one other aspect of this whole scene that to me is worth pointing out. Tea Partiers like Paul have an incredible characteristic; they are absolutely obsessed with fantasies of victimhood and discrimination. You will seldom see them pass up an opportunity to describe themselves as repressed minorities. Most white people with shame will tend to avoid describing the condition of being a rich yuppie doctor whose parents put him through school as “slavery” – not Rand Paul. It’s the same way Glenn Beck compared having health care passed to being blasted with water hoses, even invoking pictures of sixties anti-black outrages to describe the plight of modern opponents to health care… if you can listen to this stuff and not piss yourself with shame, you have a serious problem.
Around the Web
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Album Livestream
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- Kanye West's Surreal Album Launch: Fashion and Music Collide
- 19 Great Moments From the Sixth Democratic Debate
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founder to Beyonce: 'Welcome to the Movement'
- Bernie Sanders Unveils Moving New Ad With Eric Garner's Daughter
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power