Given the deficit hawkery of many of his closest advisers, this is encouraging: "Now, if we can't grow our economy, then it is going to be that much harder for us to reduce the deficit. The single most important thing we could do right now for deficit reduction is to spark strong economic growth, which means that people who've got jobs are paying taxes and businesses that are making profits have taxes — are paying taxes. That's the most important thing we can do." "The last thing we would want to do in the midst of what is a weak recovery is us to essentially take more money out of the system either by raising taxes or by drastically slashing spending. And frankly, because state and local governments generally don't have the capacity to engage in deficit spending, some of that obligation falls on the federal government."
Obama on Deficits
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked24 Horrifying Stories Behind the Scenes of Huge Movies
Cinema BlendThe 20 Best Movies on YouTube
Clickhole5 Absolutely Legendary Celebrity Party Stories
Cracked6 Celebs You Didn't Know Had Ridiculous Music Careers
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Movie Scenes
- Metallica Kick Off Reissue Project With 'No Life 'Til Leather' Cassette
- 'Better Call Saul' Recap: Open Mike Night
- Hear Kanye West's Triumphant New 'All Day'
- Mumford & Sons Talk Going Electric on New Album ‘Wilder Mind’
- Why Is This Man Still in Jail?
- Scott Walker, God's Gift to the Democratic Party
- Watch Bob Dylan Navigate a Bloody Love Triangle in New Video
- Madonna to Kanye West: 'Don't Go to Awards Shows Looking for Justice'