Given the deficit hawkery of many of his closest advisers, this is encouraging: "Now, if we can't grow our economy, then it is going to be that much harder for us to reduce the deficit. The single most important thing we could do right now for deficit reduction is to spark strong economic growth, which means that people who've got jobs are paying taxes and businesses that are making profits have taxes — are paying taxes. That's the most important thing we can do." "The last thing we would want to do in the midst of what is a weak recovery is us to essentially take more money out of the system either by raising taxes or by drastically slashing spending. And frankly, because state and local governments generally don't have the capacity to engage in deficit spending, some of that obligation falls on the federal government."
Obama on Deficits
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- WTF Happened in the New Hampshire Primary, Explained
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- What Would Actually Happen If We Broke Up the Banks?
- Watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Slam Politically Correct Youth Voters
- Watch Samantha Bee Tear Down Kansas Senator on 'Full Frontal' Premiere