John Boehner Dumber Than Punch-Drunk Lineman?
Readers, please take a vote:
In the annals of irresponsible, stupid, deal-crushing last-minute negotiating outbursts, which was worse?
... dingbat punch-drunk Washington Redskins d-lineman Vonnie Holliday evoking Malcolm X after the NFL owners voted to approve a new collective bargaining agreement last week that gave players 48 percent of about $10 billion a year in revenue. "The truth of the matter," he said, "is we got tricked, duped, led astray, hoodwinked, bamboozled!"
... or was it House Speaker John Boehner, in the 59th minute of the 11th hour of the debt ceiling crisis, posting a bunch of inflammatory lunacy on his website today, saying of Barack Obama, "He is trying to set up a no-win situation for taxpayers: either he gets his $2.4 trillion blank check, or America defaults." As Tyler Durden points out over at Zero Hedge, Boehner's "blank check" rhetoric evokes nightmare visions of Hank Paulson before the bailout, and leaves everyone feeling like a deal is a million miles away.
It says something that even the NFL and its players were able to get something done. But this debt-ceiling thing is bound for disaster, since everybody involved is apparently incentivized to non-perform, non-negotitate, and act like recalcitrant morons. Bulls, meet china shop.
Around the Web
Around the Web
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Drake Responds to Meek Mill With 'Charged Up' Diss Track
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Flashback: Watch Two Cut Scenes From 'Shawshank Redemption'
- Watch the Edge, Adam Clayton's Shock Performance With U2 Cover Band
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Jon Stewart Details Not-So Secret Meetings With Barack Obama
- Watch the Throne: Dave Grohl on How the Foos Saved Their Summer