Goldman Vet Named Euro Central Bank Chief
More good news on the international economic front!
It seems that the European Central Bank has a new president.
Bloomberg has the details:
Bank of Italy Governor Mario Draghi was appointed as the next president of the European Central Bank, avoiding a delay that risked complicating the handling of the sovereign-debt crisis.
Draghi’s appointment was approved at a summit of European Union leaders in Brussels today, an EU spokesman said. The 63- year-old Italian will take over from Jean-Claude Trichet as the head of the Frankfurt-based ECB, beginning an eight-year term on Nov. 1.
The former Bank of Italy governor has just the experience needed to become the overlord of Europe’s treasure:
A Massachusetts Institute of Technology-trained economist with a stint at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. on his resume, Draghi had already been backed by finance ministers and was the only candidate to take over the Frankfurt-based ECB.
It seems that during the confirmation hearing, Draghi was questioned about whether or not he had any role in Goldman’s deadly swap deals with Greece, the results of which Europeans are now enjoying. Draghi denied it, saying the deals predated his joining Goldman.
For those keeping score, that puts Goldman alums in charge of the ECB, the Bank of Canada (where Mark Carney is the Canadian Greenspan), and the World Bank (where Robert Zoellick is maybe keeping the seat warm for Hillary Clinton), in addition to lesser institutions like the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (where William Dudley is at the helm).
Around the Web
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- 25 Worst Original Names of Famous Bands
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic