Goldman Sachs Busted
Washington, D.C., April 16, 2010 – The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Goldman, Sachs & Co. and one of its vice presidents for defrauding investors by misstating and omitting key facts about a financial product tied to subprime mortgages as the U.S. housing market was beginning to falter.
Goldman, Sachs is getting busted, finally, for what to me is one of the most devious and brilliant crimes of the last decade.
I can’t get into this too much because I have other material coming out about it. But the upshot of it is that GS teamed up with a hedgie named John Paulson (no relation) to make the biggest ball of subprime shit they could, got short of it by credit-default-swapping it, then roped third parties into buying it. It’s kind of awesome in a way, and I’m sure it was fun while it lasted.
But now… I’m reminded of the scene in Goodfellas when the cops bust Henry…:
Bye bye, dickhead!
Around the Web
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
MTV News6 Cringe-Worthy VMA Moments We’ll Never Forget
Diffuser10 Best Album Closing Tracks
Cracked5 Famous Bands With Backstories That Would Make Great Movies
- Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka Charged With Third-Degree Murder
- The Secrets of an NFL Locker Room
- High Desert Suicide: Was a Prison Guard Hazed to Death?
- Watch Nicki Minaj Blast Miley Cyrus During VMA Acceptance Speech
- Lana Del Rey: Vamp of Constant Sorrow
- Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard Releases New LP as Thunderbitch
- 10 Craziest Beefs in MTV VMA History
- Read Kanye West's Blunt, Poignant VMA Video Vanguard Award Speech