I wrote yesterday that the jailed climate activist Tim DeChristopher, who's serving a two-year sentence in the Herlong prison in California, had recently been moved to "isolated confinement" at the behest of an unidentified congressman. Soon after the post went live, Herlong, the Bureau of Prisons in Washington D.C. and members of Congress were flooded with thousands of calls protesting DeChristopher's treatment. As a result, last night he was moved out of isolated confinement and back to the minimum security camp where he's serving out his (outrageously disproportionate) sentence. "I got a call from him this morning," says Dylan Schneider at Peaceful Uprising, the climate group co-founded by DeChristopher. "He was extremely happy." DeChristopher's lawyer, Patrick Shea, credits Rolling Stone with drawing attention to the story and helping to build public pressure for his release. "Rolling Stone got him out," he told me. Schneider cautions that this is not the end of the story, though: "There needs to be an investigation into how a call from a congressman got Tim thrown in isolation and what that says about the American justice system," he said this morning. " What would have happened to Tim if no one was watching?"
Climate Activist Tim DeChristopher Out of 'Isolated Confinement'
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
The Daily Beast‘American Sniper’ Could Actually Win the Oscar for Best Picture
Bleacher ReportHow 'Pawn Stars' Landed a $100K Patriots Super Bowl Ring
Bleacher ReportSuper Bowl 2015 Doppelgangers
Men's JournalHow Technology is Affecting Our Relationships
The Daily BeastHow the 'Star Wars' Empire Was Built
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Five Trailer: Snakes, Revenge, Beards
- Screw the Super Bowl: The Big Lies of the Big Game
- Hear Kanye West, Drake and Big Sean Team Up for 'Blessings'
- When Cops Break Bad: Inside a Police Force Gone Wild
- Eddie Murphy Returning to 'SNL' After 31-Year Absence
- 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
- The Australian Open: Serena Williams' Red Wedding
- Hear Rising Rock Weirdos Krill's Bizarre New Song 'Tiger'