I wrote yesterday that the jailed climate activist Tim DeChristopher, who's serving a two-year sentence in the Herlong prison in California, had recently been moved to "isolated confinement" at the behest of an unidentified congressman. Soon after the post went live, Herlong, the Bureau of Prisons in Washington D.C. and members of Congress were flooded with thousands of calls protesting DeChristopher's treatment. As a result, last night he was moved out of isolated confinement and back to the minimum security camp where he's serving out his (outrageously disproportionate) sentence. "I got a call from him this morning," says Dylan Schneider at Peaceful Uprising, the climate group co-founded by DeChristopher. "He was extremely happy." DeChristopher's lawyer, Patrick Shea, credits Rolling Stone with drawing attention to the story and helping to build public pressure for his release. "Rolling Stone got him out," he told me. Schneider cautions that this is not the end of the story, though: "There needs to be an investigation into how a call from a congressman got Tim thrown in isolation and what that says about the American justice system," he said this morning. " What would have happened to Tim if no one was watching?"
Climate Activist Tim DeChristopher Out of 'Isolated Confinement'
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On March 1
Bleacher ReportTaishan Dong: The Chinese 7-Footer Ready to Dominate the Boxing World
Cinema Blend12 Sequels That Will Never Happen
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies of the Year
Bleacher ReportThe Strangest Sports Trades of All Time
- The Killer Inside Kid Rock
- Scott Walker, God's Gift to the Democratic Party
- Noel Gallagher on Loving 'Seinfeld,' Hating Most Everything Else
- Is Kentucky Killing College Basketball?
- See Keith Urban's Unexpected Take on 'Somebody Like You' at Intimate Nashville Show
- Beyonce Fans Attack Kid Rock Online After Derogatory Comments
- Crude Awakening: How the Keystone Veto Dashes Canada's 'Superpower' Dreams
- Hear AWOLNATION's Rapturous New Song 'Windows'