- US falls to 53rd place on Reporter's Without Border's Worldwide Press Freedom Index; full list shows we're tied with Botswana, Croatia, Tonga. Watchdog organization notes silencing of war critics, poor relations between Bush and media.
- Economy booms, development soars in Sudan's capital as Asian investment circumvents American embargo. Without international support, US poses little threat to cosmopolitan Khartoum.
- Somalians, Ethiopians face the prospect of another protracted war (reg. required) as hostilities escalate between Ethiopia's mighty military and Somalia's rising Islamist regime. Neither nation's infrastructure can afford the fight.
- Vote or Diebold: Three weeks before election day, America's number one electronic voting machine maker suffers a leak of its source code, again. John Hopkins University researchers claim users could easily cast multiple votes with a counterfeit card.
- 45,000 US and Canadian workers to get sacked after Ford announces 30-fold third quarter losses.