- Suicide bomber strikes U.S. convoy in Kabul, kills 16. One British commander says of Southern Afghanistan: "The intensity and ferocity of the fighting is far greater than in Iraq on a daily basis."
- Conservative Jewish leaders likely to lift ban on openly gay rabbis.
- GOP senators McCain, Graham, Warner lead senate's quarrel with Bush's vision for detainee justice.
- GOP drive to hold Bolton's confirmation vote during election season derailed by endangered Republican Senator Linc Chafee: "It is no secret that I have serious questions about this Administration's policies in the Middle East."
- For 9/11 anniversary, Bush to visit each sight of the attacks, hold prime-time address from the oval office.
[With Rolling Stone]