- Gunfire, celebratory and otherwise, abounds in Iraqi street as the verdict breaks: Saddam Hussein sentenced to hang. Showboating dictator makes his exit with a doomful prophecy:"There will be rivers of blood for years to come... It will dwarf Vietnam."
- Cold reception: Rigid, irreconcilable envoys descend on Nairbobi for twelfth international global warming conference.
- Blackout sweeps through Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Spain. Ten Million people left powerless.
- Leave it to Texas: the state's Homeland Security department is now webstreaming live footage of the national border.
- UCLA psychiatrists advise that negative political ads polarize viewers, discourage voting, and can lead to depression. In related news, AP wire writers wonder why so few Americans vote.