- Members and staff of the 9/11 Commission concluded that the Pentagon deceived, perhaps criminally, the commission and the public over its early response to the 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Iraqi President Jalal Talabani claims Iraqi forces will take over security in all the provinces of Iraq by the end of this year.
- The Senate approves offshore oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. The House calls for even more drilling in protected waters.
- A nephew of Montana Senator Max Baucus dies in Iraq.
- Al Franken's plan for rehabilitating Mel Gibson.
[With Brendan Fitzgibbons]