- After seven members of his own party quit in protest, an increasingly unpopular Tony Blair announces he will retire within the year.
- Standing down? U.S. Generals hand Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki command of Iraq's shakey 8th Army Division, along with nation's token naval and air forces.
- Former members of both the Clinton and Bush administrations are savaging ABC's upcoming 9/11 docudrama. The $40 million prime-time special falsely depicts top-ranking Clintonites calling off air strikes on Bin Laden to appease international interests. Madeleine K. Albright: "Sept. 11 is not'entertainment' it is reality."
- With the harshest critics of American torture muzzled by the upcoming election, Bush acknowledges and defends the CIA's "black site" prisons.
- Recount unlikely: Katherine Harris expected to get stomped in her comically bungled Senate run.