- Kerry woefully bungles scripted joke, Bush lights the non-issue into a pan-media explosion, raising the question: "What year is it?"
- French intelligence fears terrorists lurk in Charles de Gaulle airport; 72 employees stripped of security access. Ten prepare anti-discrimination lawsuits, describing investigation as cursory and targeted at Muslims.
- Bomb blasts through Sadr City wedding party after US troops, by order of Iraqi PM, dismantle ungovernable area's checkpoints.
- African nations lifiting more youth out of poverty, into schools this year, says annual World Bank report. HIV, child mortality rates in decline, literacy rates, Gross Domestic Product rising.
- In the senate, big-name Democrats are rushing six-digit contributions to their caucus while their GOP counterparts, for the most part, play it safe.