- The referendum vote: Arizona voters reject constitutional gay marriage ban, but adopt English as their official language. South Dakotans strike down total abortion ban.
- Evoking the spirit of compassion embodied by Jesus Christ and the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), Saddam Hussein calls on "all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands." His hanging is expected later this year.
- Former anti-Contra revolutionary, Daniel Ortega, cleans up image, takes Nicaraguan presidency with a vow to break from "savage capitalism."
- Under New York law, you can now swap genders with or with out a sex change.
- In Texas, a dozen death row inmates hunger strike, one commits suicide, to protest their new prison's foul, inhumane conditions, which range from lack of human contact to lack of television.
- A vote for paper: To protect its beleagured environment, Zanzibar has instituted a national ban on small plastic grocery bags.