- Intelligence report representing the consensus of sixteen spy agencies declares: Iraq war has fueled fires of global terrorism.
- Iraq's sectarian leaders discuss constitutional amendment that would divide the nation into a federation of three loosely unified, self-ruling states; Sunnis likely to lose out on a significant share of the oil wealth.
- Independent analysts say the GOP's $34 billion Homeland Security bill is an expensive combination of sweeping gestures and empty measures: "Most of it, quite frankly, is a lot of political theatre."
- Pre-election plunge?: Crude goes for $60 a barrel.
- Monday Night Revival: Saints to come marching back into the Superdome.
[with Rolling Stone]