Bono originally wrote U2's 2000 song "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" for INXS frontman Michael Hutchence, but last night at a Minneapolis concert he dedicated an acoustic version of the track to Amy Winehouse. (Watch the performance above.) It was pouring rain throughout much of the concert, leading Bono to sing bits of "Singing In The Rain," "Purple Rain," "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" and "Rain" by the Beatles at the end of songs.
In 2000, Bono spoke to Rolling Stone writer Chris Heath about "Stuck In A Moment." "The first verse, it's really very defensive," Bono said."I think other people who have lost a mate to suicide will all tell you the same thing – just the overpowering guilt that you weren't there for that person. As anyone around here will tell you, friendship is a thing that I hold very sacred....[His suicide] really threw me. Can you really be that busy that you don't notice your mate on the slide, as it were? I am the most loyal, and the most unreliable, friend. It's the way I am -- I forget phone numbers. ... I don't use the phone for fun now. ... So I just remember feeling this overpowering sense of guilt. And then anger. And annoyance. That song is an argument. It's a row between mates. You're kind of trying to slap somebody around the face, trying to wake them up out of an idea. In my case it's a row I didn't have while he was alive. Although, oddly enough, we discussed suicide a few times. And we both agreed how pathetic it was."
• Amy Winehouse's Death: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
• Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
• Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
• The Diva and Her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
• Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
• Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
• Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
• Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
• Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
• Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
• Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus