Drake's new single arrived on the Internet with Cliff's Notes: an open letter from the man himself. "I feel sometimes that people don't have enough information about my beginnings," he wrote. "Started From the Bottom" doesn't exactly fill in the blanks – we learn Drake used to argue with his mom and sometimes borrowed his uncle's car. The real statement is the revamped sound: Drake raps in a higher register over a spare, staccato beat built around a nattering 808 and piano loop. But the result is a duller Drizzy – his rhymes lack his usual wit and flair. The dude seems defensive – unnecessarily, and to the detriment of his music.
"Started From the Bottom"
- "Started From the Bottom"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Recap: Winter Is Here
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- How the 'Warcraft' Movie Failed
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- Watch Adele Perform 'Someone Like You' at Glastonbury
- Watch Stevie Wonder, Tori Kelly, Janelle Monae's Emotional Prince Tributes at BET Awards
- Guns N' Roses Thrill in Detroit With Electric Reunion Tour Opener