Drake's new single arrived on the Internet with Cliff's Notes: an open letter from the man himself. "I feel sometimes that people don't have enough information about my beginnings," he wrote. "Started From the Bottom" doesn't exactly fill in the blanks – we learn Drake used to argue with his mom and sometimes borrowed his uncle's car. The real statement is the revamped sound: Drake raps in a higher register over a spare, staccato beat built around a nattering 808 and piano loop. But the result is a duller Drizzy – his rhymes lack his usual wit and flair. The dude seems defensive – unnecessarily, and to the detriment of his music.
"Started From the Bottom"
- "Started From the Bottom"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- 20 Best TV Shows of 2015 So Far
- Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia