Drake's new single arrived on the Internet with Cliff's Notes: an open letter from the man himself. "I feel sometimes that people don't have enough information about my beginnings," he wrote. "Started From the Bottom" doesn't exactly fill in the blanks – we learn Drake used to argue with his mom and sometimes borrowed his uncle's car. The real statement is the revamped sound: Drake raps in a higher register over a spare, staccato beat built around a nattering 808 and piano loop. But the result is a duller Drizzy – his rhymes lack his usual wit and flair. The dude seems defensive – unnecessarily, and to the detriment of his music.
"Started From the Bottom"
- "Started From the Bottom"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed the Bands They Made Famous
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Cracked20 Popular Songs Written by the Last Person You Expect
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Mental Floss19 Famous People Who Started as Extras
- Ronda Rousey: The World's Most Dangerous Woman
- 10 Completely Vile Things Rick Santorum Has Said
- Why Baltimore Blew Up
- Float Around: Photos From Nirvana's Underwater 'Nevermind' Shoot
- My Favorite Grateful Dead Song: Dave Matthews, Black Keys and More
- Fun Fun Fun Fest 2015: Jane's Addiction, D'Angelo Lead Lineup
- Watch U2 Perform 'Sweetest Thing' With Bono Impersonator
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time